Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:45:51 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Want to talk me out of buying diesel Vanagon?-No but here's
              my .02 worth (long)

On 19 Jan 2008 at 13:02, Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> > I'm not saying that diesel vanagons are for everyone, I just don't agree > with the many reasons presented here recently that they are not for anyone. >

Well said, Jim. I drove out '88 for about 8 years on the 2.1L WBX engine and enjoyed it immensely, but always worried about when the heads would begin leaking, and always planned to perform a diesel conversion when they did. However, the heads didn't start to leak, but I stumbled across a deal too good to pass up on a 5 speed tranny and all the conversion pieces. I also had a TD engine in the basement waiting for a rebuild. So out came the WBX, even though it still ran very well. It's been a little over two years and about 20k kms now on the TD, and I'm happy with it. Not quite as much power as the 2.1L, but with the 5 speed, I can still pull 45mph on the steepest long hills around here with a fully laden camper (5000lbs +), which is about the same as the gasser did. Average mileage since the conversion is 32mpg imperial, up from 23mpg imperial with the gasser. The added range is nice to have for some of our extended backcountry trips. Yes, I do have to watch the EGT gauge no hills, mainly because I'm running higher than stock boost (max 14psi) without an intercooler. I do consume a little oil (1/2 qt every 2500kms or so), but this is likely due to not replacing pistons on the rebuild, so things are a little loose. (the engine has >400k kms on it).

I did the conversion myself, and the total cost was well below the cost of a rebuild of my 2.1L WBX.

As for the stock '82 Diesel Westy - I bought one to drive while doing the TD conversion, and kept it for over a year, doing 3-4 long trips in it, including all the major passes in the PNW. Yes, it was a bit slow, but I rarely drive much over 60mph anyway. It handled the Hurley Pass in BC heavily loaded, which is chore for any vehicle, albeit in 1st/2nd gear for much of it. The road is too rough to go much faster anyway. I bought the van from an elderly lady who had camped in it for 20+ years, and was very sad to see it go. I originally planned to part it out, but found it had lots of life left, and even more character! When I sold it, I had three full price offers within 24 hours, and the young couple who bought it were thrilled with it. When I spoke to them a few months later, they were very happy with the van.

Yes, Diesel Vanagons are not for everyone. But they can be a wonderful vehicle, especially in a Westy, for those who can slow down enough to appreciate them. I've never understood why anyone would buy a Vanagon and then want to drive 75mph all the time... what's the point? But that's just me.

Just my 2c.

Shawn Wright http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed '85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA