Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:45:35 -0500
From:         Karl Mullendore <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM>
Subject:      Feedback on gearing options, TDI converted vans
Comments: To: TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com, Diesel-Vanagon@yahoogroups.com,
          Syncro <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>

As some of you may remember, the transmission in my TDI-powered Syncro failed about 100 miles into a roadtrip last winter. This tranny was the first rebuild on the original tranny, the original factory build failing (3-4 shift hub) at 270,000 km. This rebuild lasted another 270,000 km, almost exactly. The rebuild was done with 1.14 third and .77 fourth ratios, stock 4.86 R&P. Since, I've been driving around on a borrowed tranny for the year, and finally this week I made a break in my crazy shop schedule to build the old tranny. Yes, I could have sent it to Daryl at AA Transaxle and had it done many months ago. But for whatever reason I decided I had to do it again myself. I did get the parts from Daryl. :-) As well as a little support when I had brain fade a few times and couldn't remember the correct location or spec on a part. Thank you, DARYL!!!

Anyway, this time around I replaced all bearings, added the South African oiling plates, and upgraded the ratios once again, this time to 1.88 second, 1.08 third, and .70 fourth, staying with the 4.86 R&P. This, by the way, is about the tallest gearing I think is available for the Syncro. The engine I'm currently running is a 1.9 liter TDI four, AHU-code, mechanical injection pump, with slight upgrades to the turbo and injectors for more power. Tire size is 30 x 9.5 x 15.

When the old tranny was installed with .77 fourth, the engine sometimes seemed to need taller gears on the highway, and the spacing of the ratios was uneven. I was a little worried that .70 might turn out to be too much, but today I took the van on it's first drive with the fresh tranny installed. What a great success! The van drives so much better than it did before, loafing down the road at nearly the rpms the TDI was designed for, still plenty of pulling power on the hills. I now have that '3-and-a-half' gear I always wanted (third too low, fourth too much on long steep grades) as well as the high top gear it needs. The spacing seems perfect; the jumps from one gear to the next are very noticeable and would really be bad news for any other conversion that lacks torque in the lower rpms, but the TDI works fabulous! I can't wait for my next road trip.

Karl Mullendore www.westyventures.com