Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:49:22 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was: ...talk me out of buying diesel Vanagon?.... Now: gear
              ratios
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@gmail.com>

Thanks Shawn.

I thought 5th would reduce RPM's significantly. Obviously not. :)

I'll check out your website and when I have a minute, I'll study your findings. Thanks for providing them.

Yah I find the reverse gear ratio on my air cooled could stand to be lower.

But in regards to the figures in Bentley......

"Final drive 38:7 = 5.428"

What do the first two numbers mean?

Sorry for such an elementary question. :^)

Neil.

On 1/19/08, Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@gmail.com> wrote: > Yup, the DX 5 speed is very close in top end to the ACW 4 speed - that's > what I pulled out of my '88. Both give about 3300rpm at 100km/h - 62mph or > so with 195/75R14 tires IIRC. The gear ratio chart is on my website (see my > sig). It's an Excel file. With a 1.9TD, or a non-Westy, I'd be tempted to go a > but taller gearing, but with a 1.6TD, the DX is just about perfect. The low 1st > gear is great for tough starts on steep/rough terrain; I only wish reverse were > the same low ratio. The 5sp shifter takes some getting used to though, and > swapping into an '82 van is not trivial. It is simple on '83+ vans though, > provided you have all the pieces. > > On 19 Jan 2008 at 21:03, Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > Neil; > > Maybe Shawn Wright will chime in. He has done a chart calculating the output of > > various vanagon transmission series. I seem to remember that the 5-speed is good > > for nearly ten more mph than the 4-speed, but that maybe optimistic. Anyway, > > it's more as I remember. > > > > Jim > > > > > > On Jan 19, 2008 3:53 PM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > Hi all. > > > > > > A look at Bentley and search of archives still has me scratching my > > > head somewhat. > > > > > > P34.1b shows figures such as (for the DX 5 sp w/1.6 NA diesel): > > > > > > Final drive 38:7 = 5.428 > > > > > > Does this mean 38 teeth to 7 teeth = a gear ratio of 5.428:1 ? > > > > > > My questions spawn from posting of Jim Felders' mention of the 5 speed > > > tranny and 1.6 diesel. > > > > > > From what I can gather, the final drive combined with the 5th gear > > > will reduce RPM's of the engine than an ACW (P 34.1a) > > > > > > True? > > > > > > TIA, > > > > > > Neil. > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > > > > > Engine swap beginings: http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > > > > > Shawn Wright > http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels > '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed > '85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA >