Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:14:21 -0500
From:         John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: my first cooling system scare
Comments: To: Jeffrey Lubin <visionwizard@verizon.net>

On Jan 20, 2008 6:52 PM, Jeffrey Lubin <visionwizard@verizon.net> wrote: > Another rite of passage, I guess. > This evening, after driving for about ten minutes in the bitter cold > here in NJ, my temperature gauge started going up pretty quickly, until > the red light started flickering. So I slowed down, and then, almost > immediately, it went back down to normal. I had a van-load of screaming > five-year-old girls inside (it was my daughter's fifth birthday), so I > couldn't hear whether then fan had turned on and/or off. > After I got home, from what I could tell in the dark, everything seemed > fine. > Any thoughts on what might have happened? I can't do any diagnosis > right now, but I'd appreciate guidance on how to proceed. Thermostat? > Only other symptom during this fateful voyage is that the alternator > belt, which has been squealing a bit on start-up, was squealing pretty > much the whole ride instead. > Thanks, > Jeff > '86 wolfsburg westfalia weekender >

Jeff,

Loosen or remove the belt and check for wear. While the belt is loose/off try to rock the water pump pulley. If there's much movement, the bearings are worn and you will want to replace the pump. Loose pump bearings can seize under load and squeal the belt. This would raise your coolant temp.

It's a good time to replace the belt unless it looks really good, but that squealing you heard was friction on the belt.

Bitter cold can sure bring out weaknesses in mechanical systems.

-- John Meeks

'91 Multivan, '85 GL bits Northern Michigan KC8ZFN

Vanagon Rescue Squad http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon_Rescue_Squad74.htm