Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jan 2008 01:11:52 EST
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      follow up to my original response to the diesel vanagon

To those who took what I said in my original post out of context let me say this. I have owned and driven three Vanagons; a 90 Westy (my daily driver of over 150k), the 82 diesel Westy ("cherry" condition except for the mechanical issues) and an 81 AC Vanagon. All were or have been great vehicles in their own ways and each has had a special charm in it's mechanical nuances and variations of form and features. Would I buy another diesel Vanagon? Yes. I would just want one in a different form like a 1.9 TDI. There are other variations on this power plant that are also intriguing to me that I would also consider. The stock 1.6 NA engine in a Westy just didn't work out well in my case. My experiences are obviously the exception. I had that van worked on by a number of different mechanics. None could get it to run well for long. I really tried hard and diligently to get it to be a reliable vehicle. It just wasn't in the cards for me. My point is this. I have had the best luck with my 2.1 90 Westy. I had then engine rebuilt at 168K and the heads do not leak nor do I have any mechanical problems short of components (alternator, PS pump, water pump, etc.) that have simply died of old age. It now has 246k on the odometer. Let it also be said that I am meticulous about the maintenance of my Vanagon. I know it's every part and condition maybe better than I know my own body. I am perhaps living in a state of denial by thinking that I can get this mechanical entity to live as long as I do. It's next incarnation will be with a 2.5 Subie engine. I don't write this with the intentions of starting any major discussions or threads; just to let everyone know that I am not dissing the diesel vanagon but to let the potential owner be aware that it is a different sub-species of Vanagon that has unique characteristics and needs including the services of a competent diesel Vanagon mechanic which may or may not be available to everyone. I am able to do 98% of the maintenance and repairs on my 90 Westy but never pretended to be fluent in the language of VW diesel. Boy did I hate feeling vulnerable that way. I had to just hope that the person turning the wrench really knew what they were talking about and doing. Let's keep it light and save all the passion for discussions of religion and politics in other realms. This list is about sharing knowledge and fun experiences with our vehicles that we all love so much. Absolutely no offense was intended or taken.

David Clarkson

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489