Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:00:02 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: ignition switch or starter?
Comments: To: Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>

1. a simple remote starter switch, which is easy to connect, will bypass the whole rest of the van and tell you immediately if it's the starter or the rest of the van, assuming good batt, cables etc. why people can't seem to just jump on the value of this simple tool I just can not get. ( many more reasons to have one than just starter testing )

2. if you got the starter to work again ever, with the hammer trick, it's old and worn out. Like due. 3. the ign switch sends the 'start signal' to two places, the starter solenoid on a bigger wire, and to the fuel pump relay on a smaller wire to the fuel pump relay. You can't hear the fuel pump running due to the starter and cranking engine normally. 4 . ..........All I ever do for troubleshooting procedure is 'substitute and bypass' ( which the remote starter switch is an example of ) ......i also keep the electrical part of the ign switch around..... It's not hard to pull the wires and plug off the back of the ign sw, plug in your spare one, and turn it with a screwdriver. Takes but a minute. You should always have a spare one of those around, and in your spare parts kit on trips. 5. since the stock starter energizing circuit gets old after enough years, sometimes I add a additional starter energizing circuit - a dedicated , heavy duty 'real' starter button on the dash - nice flat spot right above the light switch ......and wire that hot from the battery with nice size high quality automotive wire - then your starter will always work. Drawing current all that distance through those old vw grade wires after 25 years......is really kind of hokey I think. If they work fine, fine, but for an Alaska Grade vehicle, a separate and dedicated heavy duty starter energizing circuit is 'the way.' Scott www.turbovans.com -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Edward Duntz Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:35 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: ignition switch or starter?

My '87 stock 2.1 Wolfsburg Vanagon has had (on top of many other problems- some solved, some not) some starting issues lately. In the past, the starter has not worked when very hot, and a tap with a hammer has got it going. It was mostly in the warmer weather, and I could live with it on an off until I got the money for a starter. But now I'm wondering if my ignition switch is starting to go as well. Yesterday I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. A knock on the starter didn't do the trick. This morning, still no start, but tonight, it started. But here's what makes me think it was still the starter and not the ignition switch- When I turned the key to the first position, I heard the fuel pump kick in for a second like it should. Then when I turned the key to the start position, it didn't turn over, but I heard the fuel pump again as I engaged the key. If the ignition switch were not sending current to the starter, I wouldn't have heard the fuel pump in the start position, would I?

The lock feature that prevents you from turning the key to the start position while the van is running is broken. And there is an alarm installed by a previous owner, but the alarm enable/disable key fob seems to work, so I don't think the alarm was getting in the way. I did read on the list recently about an ignition switch problem that would not engage the starter at the start position sometimes. Am I right in thinking that my problem was still in the starter? That will be my next thing to do if I keep the van. I still can't solve my high idle/stumbling at first full throttle under load problem. Thanks, Ed Duntz in CT _________________________________________________________________ Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailR-get your "fix". http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx=