Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:41:47 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: NOVC Comment on fuel economy, drag and velocity
Comments: To: Chad Lyles <chad.lyles@GMAIL.COM>

Frank said his the top speed he got to briefly ( I assume ) was 94 ? or 95 mph ? .....90-something. That's not even 'breathing hard' in that car in top gear. 95 in top gearing in that car is just loafing along. And it's not hard to hit that speed where he was driving.

Thought I'd relate this- it can be like this in California driving - you're going 70ish to 75 in 5 lanes of traffic, it's just a few car lengths between cars , just enough room to weave though few holes here and there if you're lucky. But LOTS of cars, like hundreds, all flying in formation at pretty high speed. All of a sudden it'll slow to like 40 and you worry ....... Uh oh, hope there's not an accident ...........that can lead to an hours long jam.....you go a few more miles and you see the delay ............a cop has pulled someone over........get a short way past that, back up to 70+ ............or worse..............all of a sudden everyone will slow down to like 20 ....or even stop and go ..........4 or 5 lanes side by side...........that goes on a mile or a few.........you're hoping its not a big accident, and when you finally get to it, maybe a car has gone off the side of the freeway, not even a hazard, but the slow down and I- have- to- take- a- look factor makes every one slow down, and that ripples back miles even, ....the traffic even opens up to less density once past the distraction, and every one gets back up to 70+. It's not uncommon there to be in formation with scads of cars there all at 80. That's like the norm a lot of the time. I also happen to think the turbulent air is easier to penetrate than still air, so aerodynamically it's a slight advantage - heavy traffic at speed. I'm still surprised Frank didn't mention anything about head winds or tail winds on that trip. Significant factor, and they always report on the conditions, temp and wind speed, even altitude, etc for any road test. But 96mph ain't fast in that car, not even slightly. And that's only 16 mph above the common speeds for where the driving was. Many vanagons would have trouble keeping up, and if they could ( and some can ) they'd burn twice the fuel., or more. Speaking of that , the Bugatti Veyron ( and Bugatti is owned by VW by the way, and it uses a VW derived engine ) at it's top speed of 254 ( or 251 or 253 ..one of those ) Road and Track Mag said it would burn off it's full fuel load of .........forget that too....30 gallons or something in maybe 12 minutes I think it was !! Must be like 3 or 4 mpg at that speed. Scott www.turbovans.com