Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:16:12 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon - Ford Focus Engine alternative

Jonothon the Potter's corollary re: safety in numbers, and the "farther I go.... the more I am on my own....." >>A torquey Vanagon with stock wheels with get you into the boonies far enough to get you stuck in a $600 hole. A torquey Syncro with get you far enough into the boonies to get you stuck in an $800 hole. And ....a torquey Syncro with boonie tires will get you out far enoiugh to get you stuck in a $1000-$1200 hole. <<

Yep - torque is a good thing. But always bring a lunch.

John Rodgers Master of the $600 hole.

David Marshall wrote: > That's total turkey... you're comparing a highly modified engine to a > *stock* TDI engine. How long will a 1 bar gasoline turbo engine > last? Quoting their site: "The first trip to the dyno with the > turbo kit prototype" sounds like a mature solution that has > been around for millions of kilometers. :-) > > The R-TDI > that I have beats that turboed zetech in both power and torque as well as > many other hot-rodded Diesels on this list as well, but these engines > arn't a typical TDI nor is that engine a typical Ford Focus engine either > so there is no need of mentioning either one of them is there? > > Repeat after me: > > - Safety in numbers (if it breaks, have > something everyone else has so you can get parts) > - The farther I go > from stock, the more I am my own warranty > > David Marshall > > > http://www.hasenwerk.ca > http://www.fastforward.ca > > Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2 > > On Fri, January 11, 2008 > 09:10, TC wrote: > >>> Torque sells cars and engine conversions, >>> > but really torque is what is > >>> needed to get our Vanagons >>> > going, so a Diesel engine is what our > >>> Vanagons >>> >>> > need. > >> ehem maybe you should see the latest dyno tests with the >> > turbo in place > > http://bostig.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=2 > >> 220HP@4400rpm 288ft/lbs@3000rpm >> >> >> > > >