Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:57:44 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wiring radio to accessory instead of battery?
Comments: To: "Todd P. Last" <Rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>

First thing you need to know is there is no 'accessory' position on a vanagon ign switch.

I like to be able to operate the radio with the engine not running,

And it's not so kosher to have the key on with the engine off, plus drains more power, having the ecu powered up and all.

So, I get some switch, like another heated rear window switch or whatever, and I put it in that blank spot below the 4 way flasher switch and the heated back window switch,

Or I just put a rocker switch in that location.............or something, and that becomes my 'accessory or above' switch.

Because all memory radios need batt power to store stations,

Which uses no power or hardly any,

And also needs to see power in 'accessory and ign on ' .....this switch system give you that.

It's not hard to find 'ign on' power, but doing that alone won't allow memory storage and no display with the radio off.

They need two sources of power to be 'fully right' and to be able to run the radio, engine off.

IF that's what you are trying to accomplish.

Scott

www.turbovans.com <http://www.turbovans.com/>

If you have a multimeter you can find a wire that is on with ignition only. I forget what the wire color is, but I do know that if you test the connections at the headlight switch you can find this.

I can look on my van tomorrow if you want a definitive response on what wire to piggyback on. (You can also look at the wiring diagram in Bentley to see which are live with the ignition on only.)

Todd (also in Oregon) '88 Westy

Ellen in Oregon wrote:

I looked in the archives and didn't really find what I was looking for there. In my '85 vanagon, the radio was connected directly to the battery (so it is "on" all the time unless the radio was turned off). I purchased and installed a new radio and CD player, but apparently it is powered on

even when turned off, and this has caused my battery to go dead. I'd be

interested in hearing how others have solved this dilemma. Run a wire to something that is only powered with the key is turned to the accessory? What would that something be?

Thanks for any insights,

Ellen Lola, '85 Vanagon ASI

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/