Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:35:01 -0500
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dollar a gallon ethanol production?

It depends on how capable you are, and how much time/money you want to spend.. you could go cheap and run different injectors and adjustable fuel pressure regulator to set yourself up to run e85... but then you'd have to run it all the time too. Megasquirt would definitely get you there. As far as 8.1:1 goes... no you aren't really going to be gaining much there unless you raise the compression ratio(that's really low) or go forced induction. Are you getting knock now with that compression on pump gas? You shouldn't be.

Jim Akiba

On 1/25/08, Greg Potts <greg@pottsfamily.ca> wrote: > Hi Volks, > > And it doesn't require corn.... you can use any form of organic feed > stock, including wood waste or municipal waste. > > http://www.wired.com/cars/energy/news/2008/01/ethanol23 > > In Toronto today I just paid 99c/litre for regular unleaded gasoline. > 24.1c of that was provincial road tax, and 6% is federal tax. So the > gasoline is about $ 0.69 /liter. which is close to $3/gallon. It's > kinda amusing how the article suggests that there's no infrastructure > for ethanol distribution.... Can it really be that hard to adapt the > infrastructure already in place to distribute gasoline, with that big > a cost differential?? > > Now I am wondering what I need to do to my L-jetronic-based fuel > system to make it compatible with E-85? Perhaps a change to > Megasquirt? Right now the 1.7L engine in my westy has 8.1:1 > compression; so the improved knock resistance of alcohol would be > worth looking at. Megasquirt perhaps? > > Happy Trails, > > Greg Potts > 1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato > www.pottsfamily.ca > www.busesofthecorn.com >