Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:10:48 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electrical questions. Radiator fan circuit from 85 Vanagon
              into 81 air cooled Westy.
Comments: To: Joe Federici <joefederici@earthlink.net>

Thanks for the heads up.

I've pulled almost all the electrical stuff off my 85 parts van. I'll double check condition of things before swapping it over.

With a Vanagon that *may* have a poorly maintained cooling system, that rad fan motor would see a lot of action. (poor cooling could be one reason why those poor vans ended up in the yard? --- ;^)

Neil.

On 1/22/08, Joe Federici <joefederici@earthlink.net> wrote: > Recently I added AC to my van and in the process changed over the > wiring harness from a non-AC to one used on the AC so I could pick up > the med speed fan relay in the fuse panel. What I found interesting > was the tiny ground it use by the fuse panel, I added a second at the > fan. > > I also noticed on most of the vans (I looked at 3 in the junk yard in > PA) that the larger female spade connector that connects from the > harness to the high speed fan relay was cracked on most of the > harness. This is the relay that is up behind the fuse panel. The > power going to it was fine. Not sure if it was due to the angle or > what but if your in there I'd take a look. > > JFF > > > On Jan 22, 2008, at 12:14 PM, neil N wrote: > > Thanks Mark. The help is appreciated, and as a side note, I must say I > have learned a lot being on this list. > > I'll stick with the stock design though I *may* install an LED that > would indicate when fan is on. > > Interesting to note what can happen with over useage of the high speed > part of the rad fan circuit. When doing electrical work on my Westy > last year, I was surprised to see one of the heavier gauge female > spade connectors to one of the fuses was starting to melt. Of course i > replaced the connector, but you'd think the original design wouldn't > allow that to happen. Anyway..... > > Thanks again. I'll do my best to think things through before posting > such strange ideas to this list. --- :^) > > "Now wheres my drawings for that new oblong wheel I was > designing....." --- ;^) > > > Neil. > > On Jan 22, 2008 6:07 AM, Mark Drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > > Neil, the high speed fan relay is seldom triggered and thus > > unlikely to > > fail. On a few vans I have put a manual switch in to activate high > > speed > > for special circumstances, using the manual switch to turn on the > > relay. > > > > One thing I would point out is that the older wiring may not really > > withstand heavy use of high speed and I have seen overheating and > > melting at the fan fuse holder at S7 on pre 86 models wired to use > > high > > speed more often than stock. > > > > Mark > > > > > > neil N wrote: > >> Hi Mark. > >> > >> Thanks. > >> > >>> Use the relay for sure and make certain to fuse things properly. > >> > >> For sure I will. I have the fuse panel and relays from the 85. I was > >> just "wondering out loud" about making things simpler. --- :^) > >> > >> In my rambling thoughts, I figured that relays do fail, so why not > >> make it so that the only other major part (aside from the fan!) that > >> could fail would be the thermo switche(s) or fuse. But this thinking > >> is based on a lack of knowledge. i.e. obviously I don't fully > >> understand why the relay is in the circuit in the first place. > >> > >>> ........... > > > > > > -- > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > Engine swap beginings: http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >