Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:16:37 -0500
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: My Recently Fabricated Rear Bumper
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>

Guys,

Do like the factory did, and drill elongated slots in the bumper bracket's mounting holes, then snug up tight all the washered-bolts while holding the bumper to it's rearmost position in the slots. (use the original bumper bolts and washers or get grade 10.8 or 12.9 hardware) When you have an impact, it'll absorb some energy as the bracket slides inward along the slots, before it bottoms out and starts deforming the frame/ brackets/ bumper/ etc. A mild impact will absorb most of the force and allow you to reset it outwards again later, while with a stronger impact, it may help to limit the severity of the damage a bit.

my 2 cents,

Mike B.