Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:12:03 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy OEM fire extinguisher/Halon suppressant

A couple of weeks ago when this thread was active I said I'd dig up some info on Halon/Halotron type extinguishers at a local shop. Well, I got there (two blocks from home) and they had moved. I found them at their new location and finally got there yesterday to talk to them, especially about group purchase. Bottom line: Halon seems to be available only in th 5 lb bottles and up. But Halotron, the Halon substitue, is avialable in the 2 1/2 lbs size. Regular price of $98.50, discount 20% if buying 10 or more. Estimate on shipping less than $20 for a total of about $100. They knew nothing of the Halon blend disposable units like these: http://h3raviation.com/products-1211-1301-blend.htm that were mentioned earlier and I couldn't find any purchase information on that type online. But wait, there's more. A few minutes ago in snooping around on the Internet I found: http://smokesign.com/2hafiex.html Note no shipping from that source so total comes out about like the discounted pricing from the local store. A group buy of 10 or more at that source looks even better. But then they have to be distributed to the members of the group buy. So, other than a local group of ten people getting together on a purchase we're right back to the shipping problem. Summary: From what I found (didn't put a lot of effort into this) a direct purchase from smokesign.com would be the best solution for individuals on this list. And a little browsing might find an even better deal someplace. I'm going to ask a source to check on the costs of the disposable Halon blend units, if any good info I'll pass it along.

Second subject, Fire Ports. The earlier discussion talked about the possibility of adding a fire port somewhere near the Vanagon engine compartment. An Internet search shows several vendors for the marine industry. Since a West Marine store was close I went there today, looked at their offering and bought it (have no idea where to put it or if I even will). Search the West Marine site on 'fire port' and it will come right up. It consists of a plastic piece that requires a 2" hole to mount and four screws to hold it. The center is soft, flexible plastic that is scored across and you can push the nozzle of an extinguisher right through to discharge the fire suppressant. (it is fully closed and sealed until it is used) Properly placed (and maybe with a tube extension to get it into the engine compartment) it would sure beat dealing with a hot hatch or license plate door. And could be mounted such as to put the suppressant at the right place in the engine compartment.