Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:59:11 -0500
From:         David Milo <dellaone@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy OEM fire extinguisher/Halon suppressant: Can original
              units be refilled?

Most (but not all) portable fire extinguishers require monthly maintenance usually consisting of: an inspection for general condition, a visual inspection of the gauge, if equipped, monthly weighing and recording of the weight (to determine any weight loss over time).

The last one (weighing) is important for detecting the insidious loss of extinguishing agent.

The extinguisher label usually has instructions for performing this maintenance.

As Scott alluded to earlier (and is rarely done in the private sector), most portable fire extinguisher vessels are subject to a 5 or 6 year internal visual inspection for corrosion (at which time it is reserviced with extinguishing agent) and a 12 year hydrostatic test, where the container is subjected to 5/3 operating pressure to check for structural defects. If the container passes, it is released for another 12 years.

The inspection requirements for any particular extinguisher vessel are governed by the Department of Transportation rules under which it was manufactured.

The only way to find out is to read the label.

HTH,

Dave