Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:30:30 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Urban Legend RE: NO starting when cold and Gasahol?(long)
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>

Max, I know this has been haunting you for a while. Are you able to attain sufficient cranking speed? Are you maintaining sufficient battery voltage to get good spark while cranking? Does the haltech have some type of fuel enrichment for cold starting? Maybe a fifth (cold start) injector can be set such as from the air cooled or CIS vehicles. These can be easily wired as they really operated separately from the fuel injection. The thermal time switch basically operated the injector under 40F and the starter is operated. Fuel would stop after 20 seconds of cranking.

Dennis

Scott: It sucks coming in on the middle of an on-going discussion, my bad I guess..

At 03:20 PM 1/26/2008, you wrote:

>Well, since you park by a house, you could just use an engine block heater - >I have a couple that just bolt right onto the bottom of the block of a wbxr.

That would work at home, but our work parking lot is is huge and very wind-blown, so heating isn't the be all end all.

>2. 'something' is not right in your van, it should start pretty easily and >run fine from very cold.

Agreed, but I'll explain about Haltech and all below.

3. if you are 'so sure' it's your fuel, buy some racing gasoline and try >that, for example.

You're sure more octane will do the trick? Below you say to stay away from premium gas. I don;'t understand.

www.haltech.com I bought this current haltech E6S from Gene Berg Enterprises back in 2001. it's basically an engine management system that has fuel and ignition advance maps(one for each 500 rpm )you program yourself. The newer ones use Windows, but mine is old enough that it uses DOS. I drove to Omaha to have a dyno head tune it properly a couple years ago. Since then, my old laptop that has DOS doesn't "communicate" with the ECU and therefore I can't make changes for temp and cold start etc. Mega squirt and several other companies make these things for race cars and street applications. At the time, the Haltech wasn't any more money than a new Bosch brain, so that's what I did.

>5. what does the inside of your fuel filter look like ??? water is suspect,

yeah, they will get changed today or tomorrow, I have a metal Wix above the pump and a metal Bosch after the pump(stock)

>as you say. >6. try different brands of gas. Don't know if you have Arco, but they are >always cheaper and I have gotten bad Arco gas. I'd go to Chevron for now. DO >NOT use premium !

don't have either Chevron or Arco here

> >7. gauge senders have nothing to do with the engine starting or running. The >ECU temp sensor has everything to do with it.

I mis-spoke I guess. The sensors I was referring to are the air temp and coolant temp sensors for the Haltech. It uses a MAP sensor for engine load and a TPS for idle through WOT. I don't have the VW airflow sensor, Idle stabilizer valve, or air idle speed thingie in the mix right now. If that's the entire problem, I could engineer something as Haltech has outputs to run all those things. I don't mind sorry idle issues until the motor warms up. I can live with that for now. Once warm, it idles fine. Gas mileage is not what I would like, but replacing the O2 sensor hasn't helped there and I suspect that the tuner in Omaha set the engine up to run a little rich to avoid burning something up

>8. weak/funky air flow meter ? It's a weak link.

See above

>9. Pretend I wrote this 6 times............CHECK THE BASICS. Always, always >go back and check ALL basics, grounds, compression, spark plugs, plug wires, >fuel filter, etc. etc. etc. etc.

BTDT. Haven't checked compression in a while, but could do that this weekend. I will take the entire fuel system off the van this weekend and seal up any vacuum leaks that may be there.next phase is to run a new black wire from the ignition switch to feed the coil and ensure 12v. to the ECU unit. Moving the fuel pump power wire and the ecu wire from the alternator might help too as during start up, the voltage drops there for sure. The coil, plugs, ignition wires(BREMI'S), cap and rotor are all new. Hall sender is like 3 years old and no cracks in the plastic plug. Injectors are OE and have the full 228k on them, but I have pulled them within the last 3 months and their pattern looks good to me and they don't drip after shutoff. The fuel pump comes on like it's supposed to at start up and I have a dash gauge that reads both fuel and oil pressure with the flick of a toggle switch. I have another VDO aftermarket gauge that does the same for water and oil temp. The middle gauge on top of the dash is a VDO Vacuum gauge that taps the line that goes to the FPR. I have access to a lot of info while driving . Also in the gauge stack(actually on the heater cowling) is a Halmeter that reads fuel air ratio with 30 leds and it's own O2 sensor installed in the J pipe before the cat. The throttle body is OE also and maybe it needs cleaning. The little idle swtich and cam have been removed since Haltech can't use that information. The battery is a year old Interstate group 91 series which has more guts than the 41's . The alternator seems to be healthy as does the VR and the belt is snug to specs.

> >10. you're missing something. I grant that the age of your van, the >environment you are in, and the fuel available are all conspiring together >to give you this problem..........but.........it should still start pretty >easily, and run properly, and the older things are of course, the weaker >they get, and sometimes 6 'half things' add up to what you're having. >WARNING .........the rest of this paragraph may constitute 'rambling 'for >some so stop reading right now ! ............ >................but people often think it's 'one thing' ...........and I >USUALLY find it's one kinda significant thing, and 5 half things. Most >often. Like throttle switch, where's that ? check that ? they get off all >the time.

Agreed, and each thing I seem to do maybe helps a little, but the same basic problem still exists.

>11.......................It REALLY HELPS if people would say what year >vanagon, which year and model of engine, air cooled, 1.9 wbxr, 2.1 etc. I am >trying to zero in on what could be going on, and if you don't even say which >engine is it...........I got that it's gas and not diesel...........but >really ........year and model/version of vanagon, and type of engine, >please. If it's an air cooled one, I'd start with a compression check >immediately, then go from there. Same for wbxr, but they are more likely to >have 3 pretty decent cylinders, and one 'sort ok' one. Very common. >At least you said where you are, and that really helps too, knowing that ! >

>My apologies to you for not being specific on engine and van >MY. but this has been sort of an on going hassle and only the >latest post in a long string of threads and I'm sure the first post >I did list model year and engine size. > >I have a 90 GL with a 2.1 Boston Bob rebuild with about 70 k on it.

Maybe now the post you read makes more sense?

DM&FS