Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:33:29 -0800
From:         "dhanson@gorge.net" <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Couple of great additions to my 'home'

Recently, I've been in the California desert, with the 84 Pop-less camper as my 'annex' and traveling tool box as well as bike shop and sometime kitchen...We also have our travel trailer that we leave down here year round. One thing I recently added to the van that has made my morning coffee really enjoyable is a Sirius radio. When I arise for my part time job or just to get an early start on a long bike training ride, I try to let my SO sleep in by going over to the van for coffee and the early news on radio. She works late nights..So, with the satelite radio, rather than fishing around the dial for shortwave that soon fades as the sun comes up, or being forced to listen to hate radio AM talk, everything comes in crystal clear...Remote control, too, so I can sit back and do whatever without climbing up front to change channels. 2nd improvment..I bought a Unity spotlight, same one as I once had on my old South African Split window bus. The kind the police use. Now I can find our unmarked desert side road with ease late at night. I can also check out potential overnight campsites as we roll along without actually turning off the highway to get the headlights on the side roads or pull-outs. Very handy...Mounted it right on the roof, with the handle coming in just behind the rear veiw mirror and accessable to driver and passenger..In this position, the beam can be deployed in any direction and can also be used (I wired mine into the aux battery) for bright light around the camp..for short periods. Might be good for rude tailgaiters who ride your ass with their brights on, too...If you get particularly 'agro' and if you want to chance it that you aren't being dogged by a cop or a Gang- banger.. Don Hanson