Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:38:49 -0800
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stevens Creek Volkswagen in Santa Clara

I also got some quotes for some parts today at this dealership. They want about $500 for one remanufactured drive axle. This includes two remanufactured CV joints and a drive shaft. So this is $1000 for two axles. I checked and people on Yahoo said to avoid those remanufactured axles. They will last only a year. What a joke this is! They want $290 for the outer CV and $540 for a new inner CV with a drive shaft. SO that's $830 for a new axle with new CV joints. I have to get a pair so the bill would be $1660. I am supposed to be covered by the warranty. Well, guess what? Even they decide to give me warranty coverage they will replace with remanufactured axles anyway. That will last only for a year. It would be only delaying the $1660 bill for a year.

The price I found on the web for a German outer CV for my Passat is less than $100. I figure I only need a pair of outer CVs. What a rip off for $1660! Labor is not even included yet.

I also got a quote for a engine breather hose that redirects oil vapor back to the air intake. I was quoted $280. This was not the first time they quoted this price to me. They tried to talking me into replacing it when my Passat was in for service two years ago. The hose had a crack and I taped it to seal it. I can pick up a hose from a flaps for less then $20 to replace it. It won't have a same look but it will work as good as OEM.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping