Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2008 01:58:33 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Anybody else seen these cool AC's (no pun intended) & leather
              seats found on Vanagons sold in Thailand?

Hi Gang,

Just got back from a cruise of Southeast Asia. While there, I met with a fellow Vanagon fan who was nice enough to drive us around in his 1991 Thai-spec Vanagon. I couldn't help but admire the nice overhead AC set-up. There are twin tunnels with each having a pair of vent system with individual controls and vents. The whole thing is within the leatherette headliner as you can see in the pic.

http://picasaweb.google.com/syncro/ThaiVanagon/photo#5161196546164328386

The second pic shows part of the leather seats. The front seats appear to have been manufactured using the stock Vanagon L (aka non-GL) seats w/o armrest. There are two captain's seats in the middle which have armrests and a 3-person rear bench also with armrests. The upholstery pleat design is the seats in Audi 200 Turbo Quattro. Headrestraints are adjustable in the rear. The fronts are stock T3 units.

There was also a console with table aft of the front seats but my friend removed them. You can see part of the console system just behind the driver's seat (Thai Vanagons are RHD). My friend says VW imports the lowest trim level Transporters into the Country then has a local company install the fancy interiors and AC systems.

-- BenT