Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:28:09 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Car Dealers And Parts Prices
Comments: To: Ryan Shawley <easywind1975@HOTMAIL.COM>

Of course stealership prices are high, sometimes ridiculously so. But as a business owner I can also say, getting one small part ( that they should stock but aren't smart enough to ) through the entire parts system from Germany etc. .......at 20 dollars they're not making a penny.

I did have a real need for a diesel vanagon oil pressure switch once on a trip - I was getting a false 'no pressure' indication. I went to Pep Boys or Schuck's Auto Supply chain store type place on a Sunday. I was fully prepared to tell them to sell me a VW Bug one if their book didn't list Diesel Vanagon or did but they wouldn't have that one in stock, because I know those to be essentially the same part.

Their book said 'VW oil pressure switch, 1954 to 1985.......... all.' .....................lol !! I think it was 3 bucks too. I like that............. 'all'.........which is how it 'should' be.

And my VW stealership, nice as they are, half the time I have to go down there in person and show them in their system what part I am really after. And sometimes the pictures don't match the vehicle really. Or you can find flywheel or crankshaft, but not the mounting bolts........just dumb stuff like that sometimes. And of course, more and more parts are NLA. I am getting some out of Canada now that the US system doesn't have anymore. , I always ask how many are left in the system. If it's a commonly needed vanagon part, not too expensive, and not many left..............I'll stock up. Rescuing and bringing vanagons back to great health is wonderful fun. Scott www.turbovans.com