Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:47:22 EST
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Car Dealers And Parts Prices-a service advisors
              perspective (long)
Comments: To: fonman4277@COMCAST.NET

In a message dated 1/30/2008 8:13:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, fonman4277@COMCAST.NET writes:

Another common misconception about new car dealers : the service advisor is your friend who has your best interest at heart. Bullsh*t!!! These guys are commissioned sales people just like the guy who sold you the car in the showroom. The more repairs they "sell" you, the more money in their pockets.

I can't tell you exactly how the parts dept. pay works but I can speak to the service advisors' pay. How is that? I am a service advisor. I work at a local Honda dealership and our pay consists of about 40% salary and the remaining 60% is commission on the total volume of sales that the department does. Is it wrong that certain professions rely on commissions as part of their income? I don't think so. There are several factors to consider IMHO. First of all the service that we sell is based on the customer's request and the recommendations of the manufacturer. The manufacturer is not going to suggest more service than the vehicle needs since this raises the cost of ownership figure that so many perspective buyers look at. The other way to look at this practically is that our labor rate is posted plainly for all customer's to see; at least at my dealership. All work is quoted in advance with quotes based on standardized labor guides like Chilton's, Alldata or Motors. If we were there to "rip off" the customer we could only do that once and they would never return. Another way that most service advisors are financially compensated is based on the returned written and verbal surveys that the manufacturer randomly sends out. If the customer was satisfied with the quality, value, completeness of their repair or service and of the professionalism, friendliness and helpfulness of the service advisor this can result in additional income if all the surveys are above the average of the zone, region and national averages. Can you be ripped off by a crooked service advisor? Sure. Will that service advisor be around very long? Not likely. The incentive is for the customer to be satisfied and return again and again. There may be differences between dealerships on the way that service advisors are compensated and I am speaking of the way that our dealership operates. Honda has some of the highest owner satisfaction and customer loyalty in the business. Do I take my beloved 1990 Westfalia to the VW dealership(required Vanagon content)? Not very often since none of their techs know much about Vanagons and cringe when they see one drive into the service lane. Besides, I get a break on Vanagon parts when I go to my local dealership since I work at the Honda dealership right down the street and I have most all the tools, lifts and other useful equipment available to me at work. I can do most anything that my van needs short of a full engine or tranny rebuild or major body/paint work. When you do go to the dealerships service lane then you might be paying for the benefit of experience of factory trained techs and original equipment parts. I can't tell you how many times we have replaced a timing belt after the local corner garage has botched the job and improperly adjusted a timing belt that sings like so many aftermarket timing belts will or we have to replace the belt that is soaked with oil because the cam seal wasn't changed and started to leak oil right after the timing belt was changed. There are things that experience teaches you when you have done a particular job 500 or 1000 times. That's what you pay extra for, experience and a job done right the first time. Do what you want with respect to your local parts department and dealership service lane. YMMV. Just keep in mind that when no one else can find the original new part or fix your car correctly even your corner garage mechanic usually throws in the towel and says, "maybe you better take it to the dealership". I don't think any offense was intended and I am certainly not offended by your opinion. I just wanted to explain a few things to those who have had poor experiences at their local dealership.

David Clarkson-Honda Service Advisor 90 Westy (246k)

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489