Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:50:05 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Car Dealers And Parts Prices

RE: Parts Pricing To add to the story I'll pass on a little lesson taught to me graphically by a good friend that owned and ran an auto parts store, an independent operation, not a chain store. Somehow we ended up talking about wheel bearings. He walked over to the shelf and picked up three or four boxes containing wheel bearings, front bearings if I recall right. All from the same vendor, different part numbers on the boxes. He then opened the typical at the time catalog on the stand on the counter, one of many parts catalogs all stacked together. And he showed me what vehicles those bearings were specified for and the price. I think it was Chevy, Pontiac and Olds, maybe Buick too. But I know they were all GM cars, each considered to be low, medium and high end cars, good better, best if you like. And the cars sold in different price ranges. The prices for the bearings ran (and this is for illustration only, don't remember the real numbers) for like $5 for the Chev, $7 for Olds, $9 for Pontiac and $12 for the Buick. I do remember that the high price was more than double the lowest price. Then he told me to open the boxes and look at the manufacturers part number, small, on the bearing itself. I don't recall if Timkin or SKF or what, but the numbers on all the bearings were identical. But, GM specified a different part number for each car and the dealer pricing apparently ran about the same range. So the after market vendors, whose product I was looking at, followed suit. BTW, I have a vague memory of GM getting their butts kicked pretty good over that kind of business practice some time after that but don't have any details.

Another BTW. I was raised in a machine shop. I learned early on that there are specialty shops for just about everything you might want to buy and that the specialty shops will usually have what you want and their prices will be better than going to a 'general store' vendor that carries a little bit of a whole bunch of stuff and no one knows the entire inventory. Here in Seattle I learned to call Bearing Sales and Services, order by manufacturers part number and pick up at the Will Call counter. I saved an employer a big, and I mean big, bundle of cash doing just that one time, not vehicle related.. He thought I was a genius