Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:33:48 -0500
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Re: ESC Warranty
Comments: To: Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>

>> Thanks, David---good advice. I'm at 45K on this Audi and have gone back and forth about paying $3K for an extended warranty for another 50,000 miles of relative peace of mind. I had a Volvo that burned a valve with less than a thousand miles left to go on its warranty and that saved me almost $3000 so I've experienced first hand the value of a warranty. <<

50K miles but it probably has a time limit too. When we bought my wife's Audi A4 in 2002 it had 55K on it and I wanted the warranty (I've ALWAYS ended up using car warranties) but my wife and mechanic said no. They were right, it never needed a large repair BUT she only has 72K on it now. If that was me driving it I'd have allot more. Fast forward to the '03 Eurovan I bought this summer. I insisted that if it was not already covered when I bought it I was going to at LEAST purchase an extended power train warranty for which was only $900 (full coverage was $2400) My van ended up having an extended warranty when I bought it. I would not be able to sleep at night without it. Of course the tranny will blow 1 week after it expires but that give me some breathing room.

Be sure to read the fine print on your extended warranty. Deep deep down in mine it specifies what I need to do to keep the warranty valid, i.e. transmission fluid changes every 12K miles instead of VW's 40K, oil change every 3K, no towing allowed, leopard skin seatcovers not allowed ;) , blah blah blah.

Bryan