Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:59:09 -0600
From:         Ben Cichowski <aquasheck@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Distilled Water
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I'm only a shade-tree mechanic, but my full time profession is as a water quality engineer. I personally used distilled. If your tap is supplied by a municipal system in a town larger than 3,300 people, chances are your tap water will be sufficiently free of minerals that may precipitate out in your system (but also read my last line).

The big 4 to worry about are Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and Manganese. When you used to see a lot of antifreezes containing phosphates, these were put in for corrosion control, as well as to sequester minerals like Iron (surround the molecule so it doesn't precipitate out). But, then they started to find that phosphates destabilize under high temps and actually precipitate out of solution themselves...thus adding to the problem.

One thing to keep in mind is that, even if you are using tap water, your municipal system may be using polyphosphates to sequester iron (if your area has high iron concentrations), or for corrosion control of distribution lines. If you use tap water in this situation, it is essentially like using an antifreeze that contains phosphates - not good.

In short, go with distilled and live on the safe side.

-Ben

_________________________________________________________________ Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! http://biggestloser.msn.com/