Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:15:41 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: major fuel leak
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

It is a weak design considering that it's about fuel, And that plastic parts 'give up' after 15+ years, , get brittle, crack, break etc.

'cost' .........that's the whole thing. And VW's are built to offer a lot for the cost. You can even see parts that were metal on the 1.9 wbxr become plastic ones on the 2.1, ones that deteriorate with age and heat. And yes, on something like fuel.............you'd think they might stay more with metal than plastic. Just take that firewall fuel fitting thing on waterboxers, no real need for that part on the van, it's plastic, right above the starter etc. And forget ye not this - engineers, especially German ones, design things to be perfect when they ARE perfect, with no lee way sometimes for thing to be off somewhat .

A perfect and glaring example : 83 to 85 1.9 waterboxer with AC. A coolant hose goes THOUGH, as in 'within' the AC belt. First,..............think of one other car with a coolant hose going *through* an accessory belt. I have worked on just everything there is almost, and I can not think of one other example of a hose going through an accessory belt. And............if the AC belt gets loose, it rubs and flaps on a coolant hose that's about 1 to 1.5 inches away. So you could loose all your coolant, and fry your engine, just from an accessory belt for a non-critical system, one not even being used at the time even........... What were they not thinking ??

Allan here asked, wisely, why didn't they just put inline 4 gas engines in instead of coming up with the waterpuker, I mean waterboxer engine ?? They already had the diesel inline 4 in a vanagon even. Good question ! All I have is .............they wanted to stay with opposed 4 cylinder aluminum engine that the vw van has had since day one, Or cost factors. And those simple little inline 4's sure don't look expensive to make to me.

But, like those fuel system plastic parts........two main factors I see for doing it that way, is cost of production, and this mentality that either the van is going to be recycled by 10 years time, or that it'll always go to the dealer for service and they'll sell you a 700 dollar job of new plastic fittings and so forth...............or as I keep seeing.........they only make them to be right when they ARE right. Last line................there is nothing like stuff that Just Works, and works long term with nary a glitch hardly ever. Low power or not that great fuel mileage isn't even that hard to put up with if it just works forever. ( btw, guy in France tells me diesel is around $ 6 US and gallon, and gas $ 7.50 per US gallon there now , and our dollar has shrunk a lot lately too of course) . Scott www.turbovans.com