Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:33:13 -0700
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Freeware to reduce image file sizes for my Vanagon website?
Comments: cc: andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ, gary2a@TELUS.NET

>> >A look at Richard's code shows an efficient and simple text only >> >page. Web designers today seem to be unable to resist using every >> >possible gimmick available. > > Indeed... why have "pretty" graphics which can make a page take > minutes to load (or even stall) with a so-called "dialup" connection? > Sites like that bug the heck out of me.

I'm glad some like my simple approach. I like simple, too.

But my simple web pages have a simple historical origin. I was managing Unix labs when the net came along and so brought up the first web server at the University (now www.colorado.edu) and probably the first personal web server on my desktop Sun, which is now jones.colorado.edu. (Prior incarnations were named bakmes, ennui and coyote....)

So I learned original HTML in 1992, used vi to "write" web pages--and typical of me, have learned nothing since. The HTML I learned hadn't invented background color yet.

To make a new trip report, I copy an old trip report's .html files, edit them with vi, and add the link. [All this from home with a secure shell terminal program; I don't even know where my machine is located anymore!] They are usually broken up into 4-5 photo pages to help those who used 56kb lines in the past. For Buses By the Bridge, I just did one bigger page; no sympathy for low-speed folks now. ;-)

If you understand all this, you'll like: http://jones.colorado.edu/jones/sandwich.png (Sudo was invented at Colorado by Evi Nemeth and others.)

Richard