Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:18:24 -0700
From:         honemastert <honemastert@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 1 Feb 2008 - Special issue (#2008-154)

** Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM> wrote: **

>> A disconcerting trend in the past 12 months is the high failure rates on MacBooks. .... >> We have some students with Macbooks on their 4th time in for warranty service. By >> comparison, our directly managed fleet of Dell PC/laptops consists of about 300 systems, >> with an average of one hardware issue per month. The current MacBook failure rates remind >> me of the PowerMac Performa problems about 10 years ago.

My last post.. I'll shut up now, if you want to continue blabbing about this, shoot me a pm, happy to talk about it, since Friday is nearly over!

Or the old Powerbook 5300c fiascos of the mid to late 1990's It was that run of crap that turned our shop from an exclusively Apple to Dell shop. (that and a fight between IT divisions.. winners in Portland, which is only a few hours south of the Redmond mothership and the losers in Mountain View Ca. even closer to Cupertino)

We're full on into the whole Microsoft thing now, merged Unix and Windows registries, Sharepoint.. uugh.. MS Exchange.. Any of us Apple folks are running undercover these days, trying to not draw attention to ourselves and our 'renegade hardware'. I have to use a Dell D620/30 laptop for work. It's not bad..goes weeks without rebooting, can close the lid and it hibernates, open it up and its right back on the network, in/out of the dock etc: Basically, it works well (Win XP) only when the hard drive gets filled up less than 1Gb free, do I find it to be doggy and hard to use.

It's been the first Dell Laptop with Windows I've had on it, that has let me, not reboot, dock, undock, sleep, hibernate whatever and not have crashes.

It basically works like my circa 1995 PowerBook 540c did.. just nearly 10 years later ;-)

Apple laptops have always been way too pricey. We ended up buying a factory refurb for my wife direct off the Apple website (look for the red/blue tag sale deal on the frontpage) You get the same year warranty, can add Apple Care (if you want) if you can settle for a slightly older model.

At the time (2+ years ago) Most of the applications were still not universal binaries (meaning they would run @ full speed on the newer x86 based hardware) so I decided to go with the final PowerPC based systems they had.

Now I'm just hoping the radiators.. (yes the G5 is liquid cooled) dont start leaking. Since It's a refurb, I'm hoping that problem was addressed 'knocks on wood"

For laptop folks and Apple, I'd always get the extended warranty.. every system I've put it on, has paid for itself in one shape or another.

For desktops, I wouldnt bother