Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:08:35 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC - MS vs Mac

On 2 Feb 2008 at 18:19, Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> wrote:

> >I've been told they are rock solid. > > Uh... depends. My G3 & G4 are anything BUT stable, on both OS9.2 & > 10, but this is a problem sitting somewhere in my harddrive... as it > has followed the HD from one computer to another. Generally Macs > DON'T crash... whereas Windoze does so often. And in theory Macs > NEVER 4need the OS reinstalled.

Have to disagree on this one. I suspect the current OSX is probably pretty solid when treated responsibly, due to its BSD roots. But my last in-depth experience with Mac OS is several (closer to 10...) years old now, and it was pretty sad on the late 90s model PowerPCs, where our Mac lab crashed more often than the win9x machines (which were very sad...) However, since standardizing on NT4, then 2K, and now XP, I can say Windows is pretty solid, both on the desktop, and on servers (where it always has been). I'm speaking of 300 campus PCs which do not crash, outside of a hardware fault. Uptime on servers is limited only by availability of steady power (sometimes our generator doesn't kick in during outages), or need for reboots due to updates. Back when we ran NT4 servers (last one taken down last month, but lives on in a VM), 300+ days of uptime was not unusual. In 10 years of managing Windows servers for ~600 users, I've not had a server crash that wasn't due to a hardware failure. And I can count those on one hand... ok, maybe two :-) I should qualify this by stating that all of these machines sit behind a Linux firewall, which is also crash-free over 10 years. I expect Windows servers/PCs would be substantially less stable/secure if not protected by the firewall. Most consumer windows crashes are due to an exploit of malware of some type (which is usually due to a fault in the OS and the poor sod running IE instead of a real browser). But in a secure, managed environment, windows is quite stable. One could construe from the above that if you do not run in a secure, managed environment, that a Mac is a better choice. Perhaps this is true for some. For me, I'd rather manage a PC properly, than try to get a Mac to work the way I want.

As someone else said, Mac users tend to be more err... vocal about their preferred system. After all, it's not cool to defend M$, now is it. But Apple is cool - I admit it. I'm not a Mac user, but nor am I a M$ fan (I use OpenOffice, Pegasus Mail, Firefox, etc...). If the current crop of PowerBooks weren't so flaky and overpriced, I'd buy one... but I'd run XP on it. :-)

Shawn Wright http://members.shaw.ca/vwdiesels '88 Westy 1.6TD 5 speed '85 Jetta Diesel 1.6NA