Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:36:46 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 van 2.1 a/t w/no motor x 1 yr with intermittent rap - and
              winter storage
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

I pretty much agree with that and would like to add this : Just 'running the engine' ...............is really rough on things. It's far better to DRIVE the van around so all the other parts get moved and used and lubed. And things are under load then too, which produces more heat and you want that - like that acidy water burned out of the exhaust system. So driving it is much better. I think I'd rather let it sit even 2 or 3 months untouched, ( except air out on nice days at every opportunity if outside, and if inside, air out in general, and protect from mice and rodents - I just have those little yellow boxes of mice poison under a work bench or cabinet in the garage/shop etc. ) - but I'd rather let it 'just sit' and then do a 40+ minute drive, then start it a few times a month and run it no load. And do exercise the rest of the car, seriously. I am currently keeping 10 vans and cars alive and happy and healthy, batteries charged up, aired out on nice days and driven now and then, oil fresh, etc.., in a mild winter climate, that's also Arizona dry most of the time, in southern Oregon. *really* a good environment for cars. The most important thing is, when you run it, drive it, and drive it to fully warmed up , and then drive it an additional say 20 minutes. On sticky hydraulic lifters............. Well, first thing !!!...........occasional short periods of operation MAKE the lifters get noisy. I've had subaru conversions ( and waterboxers ) that I'd move around from time to time, only running them about 2 minutes at a time. Do that 8 times, and I've got noisy lifters, And even with hydraulic lifter treatment in the oil it would take up to 40 minutes operation for them to get quite again. Or even 6 30 minute errands even. Also........Hydraulic Lifter Treatment - one I use is called CD2.........it works, or helps. On waterboxers the rocker arms are adjustable, 'usually' you should never have to adjust them...........if you have a noisy/collapsed one and are trying to adjust for it, the lifter feels mushy as you turn the screw down, and you can only guess at where to set it, and you don't want it too tight or too loose of course..........so normally you don't go adjusting there. And I have seen maybe one or two cases of damaged rocker or pushrod.........that's quite rare though. Usually just wait, and treat the oil, and drive it, and lifter noise will go away. I've have it take 25 errand type trips during a month before they all get quite again, even. . But really, no short and frequent periods of running the engine. I can't say that enough. Because when you start up a sitting engine in cold conditions and don't operate it to fully warmed up, and under load, you are really increasing wear. There is an oil draining off the parts factor too. Oil sticks nicely to metal for a quite a while...........say that ring and pinion sitting there with the top 4/5ths of the ring gear sitting in air, where there is condensation happening some, and gear oil really sticks well, but it also very, very gradually slips off the metal, same for engine oil and those parts - So it's a toss up, on the one hand starting it frequently keeps oil on other things, but significant wear occurs the first 5 to 10 minutes of running too, badly so. Obviously the best thing is really drive it say, once a month, for an hour at least...........and even then, cars only being driven that much go down hill slightly , so regular use is what they are made for, and is what's best for them................so if it can't be used and fully warmed up and driven on a regular basis, and short periods of no load operation are pretty bad, I think the best compromise is let it sit, for up to 3 months, and hopefully indoors and in a half dry environment ..............then not much deterioration happens, not 'too badly' anyway. But get some lifter treatment in it, and avoid frequent short periods of operation , especially no loud, not driving operation of the engine , seriously. It's better for it to 'just rest peacefully' for up to 3 months, hopefully in a half decent environment, like semi-dry and be sure to air it out whenever possible..........and that's about best you can do. There are 'even more evolved' ways to store a car for the winter. I was reading about what fanatical Porsche 356 owners in the northeast do for the winter in a porsche club magazine........and they're pulling the plugs, putting wd-40 or diesel fuel into the cylinders, lightly putting the spark plugs back in, not even finger tight, and maybe even getting all the gasoline out of the carbs, and let is 'rest peacefully indoors' for the entire winter that way. And then they have special tricks when they go to fire it up the first time in the spring - mothballing for the winter, you could call it. But I never do that, I just do what I suggested above. Overall, I'd say moisture and lack of airing out, and possibly insects and rodents are the biggest dangers to cars not used very much in the winter. On nice days I have to go out and open about 15 windows at least, and close them all up before sunset too. To really preserve a car, besides driving it nicely in a nice climate like southern California ...........real car collectors keep cars in a temperature and humidity controlled garage. Even light on things.........if you REALLY want to preserve things you don't even expose them to light very much, that's how far people can go preserving and taking care of things.. Personally , I just get a deep reward out of preserving and rescuing even, these great vanagons., They are ENTIRELY worthy of all the care we can give them. For exceptionally rare and collectible automobiles..............like priceless 110 year old Mercedes Benz's say.............or the most beautiful and rare Bugatti model say, cars that are literally priceless, some owners don't even consider that they 'own' such cars, but that they are merely the car's caretaker for a while. But yeah ! no sort periods of running ! It's a terrible thing to do to a car. And .........normally I like hydraulic lifters..........but they do have this one disadvantage about taking a while to pump back up, especially in an older engine, whereas shim style non-hydraulic lifters, as used in diesel vw engines for example, only very gradually ever need adjustment, and they can start right up and never have a lifter problem. One east coast guy I talked to with an air-cooled vanagon, with hydraulic lifters, said he overfills his oil by one qt when he parks it for the winter, and never has a hydraulic lifter issue when he fires it up in the spring. Sorry it got so long ! Scott www.turbovans.com