Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Feb 2008 18:03:22 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust gaskets leaking
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

'the problem' is that the flanges warp over time, the pipes warp over time, sometimes - like if the pipes and flanges didn't' warp, the gaskets would last very well. They by themselves, the port gaskets, are not weak especially, unless someone put in el cheapo's or something.

The exhaust port gaskets are readily available, and I believe fit all air cooled vw's almost, like surely all 1600's and waterboxers, they are readily available.

As for sealant, this type of exhaust port gasket goes on dry, but if you are trying to patch up something, or make up for warped pipes, 'you might' use hi temp orange silicone, and 'maybe' get some sealing, for 'a while.' It's not a real repair. It's also possible to, instead of removing the pipes entirely, pull them back some and sneak a new exh. port gasket in there sometimes. Without turning it into a whole project sometimes this can be done. .

The studs and nuts notoriously are badly corroded, rusted, and stuck. Getting the nuts off without breaking a stud off is 'the hard part.' Some of them are bolts threaded into the head, rather than studs with nuts on them. I always heat the nuts on the studs with a oxy-acetylene torch, to avoid breaking off the stud in the head. Same for the bolts, and even then it turns into a drill and tap situation, sometimes.

I'd start soaking things with PB Blaster penetrating oil right now, and twice a day from now on for a while........... What I usually end up doing is, if I don't' replace the pipes with new aftermarket ones, is restore them by getting all the rust off with a power wire wheel, then painting them with hi temp ceramic exhaust paint, and also filing the flanges flat again. And put it all back together carefully.

( might as well convert to subaru .........just joking, but I am driving this Vanagon around now with 98 Impreza engine, and what I would have to say is that many waterboxer owners/ drivers would be very pleasantly surprised at the 'sports car engine nature' of these engines compared to a waterboxer, compared to a Legacy engine even. It's not just more power and displacement, and lower emissions and better fuel economy, and better throttle response..............it's an engine with a power and torque curve that just loves ripping up through the rpm range, and there's a whole 1,000 more rpm to play with . Just delightful to drive, like the van really does something when you ask it to, and in a very 'eager' way - just loves ripping up through the rpm range as I said, and ....... ( ! ) .........you can be done with those hokey waterboxer exhaust pipes !! ) scott www.turbovans.com