Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:54:59 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: quick question: my plastic firewall fitting is made of metal?
Comments: To: Wesley Pegden <wes@CS.UCHICAGO.EDU>

One more thing ---

In the aviation world there is hardware that is made specifically to pass through bulkheads and firewalls. Aircraft hardware is referred to as AN hardware and each of the zillion pieces have a specific number. But if you can find an aircraft hardware catalog you can find this, or, if you know any aircraft mechanics maybe they can find you one. But having the right hardware for this is really nice. Makes life easy. The hardware has a flange on one side that fits flus h on the surface on one side, and the tube is threaded, so a nut can be tightened on the other side, thus squeezing it tight onto the firewall. The tube portion on both sides can be threaded or unthreaded. I would prefer the threaded version so I could install aeroquip fuel hoses. Then I would install aeroquip fuel hoses thoughout. These hoses are available as high pressure hoses, and can be put together as a secure hose system for fuel delivery to the injectors. Or, you can just use the non-threaded fitting and use hose clamps as traditionally installed.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Wesley Pegden wrote: > Hi guys, > I'm finishing up my fuel line job right now that I finally got around > to. I've read about the plastic firewall fitting that people usually > have a problem with: on the fuel intake line that runs under the air > distributor stuff to the T-connection, and connects on the other side to > a short hose and then the plastic tubing. I've just removed this > fitting, just to discover that mine is in fact metal. Anybody heard of > a metal replacement for these before? The clamps on the connecting > hoses (and ONLY these hoses) were screw-type clamps, so it seems like > maybe this was replaced at some point? Should I keep my metal fitting > or get rid of it? > > > Thanks for any advice, > Wes > '83 1.9l westy > > >