Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:29:48 -0800
From:         Courtney Hook <courtneyhook@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Hubcaps - chrome moonies ( not )
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

This is where the term "lake pipes" came from too, like in the Beach Boys line, "And she purrs like a kitten till the lake pipes roar". :-) And yes, moons covered the whole rim for aerodynamics. I was at Bonneville in the summer watching the classics rip down the course. A side view to watching the Bonneville scene is the great movie with Anthony Hopkins called "Worlds Fastest Indian". About motorcycles, but really shows the mystique of all the speed scene in the early years. Geez, I miss big block engines. ;-( Courtney ----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Daniel - Shazam" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 2:31 PM Subject: Re: Hubcaps - chrome moonies ( not )

Re " any chrome moon hubcaps for a '71 up bus or beetle will work."

Just for your automotive and cultural historical correctness, 'moon hubcaps' cover the entire wheel. I believe the origin is hot rod cars that ran on dry lake beds in southern California, after WWII and at the start of the hot rod era in the late 40's and into the 50's...........on those cars for streamlining purposes they covered the wheels over smoothly with probably aluminum full size hubcaps. And possibly first used on 'dry lake' cars based on, or build upon, aluminum surplus aircraft belly tanks.

Some may consider this rambling, if you do, stop reading now .................

The semi-flat chrome hubcaps come on early vanagons, and all years of Buses before that starting with the 1971 Bus ..........which is the first year of the normal 'small center hole ' hole 15 inch steel wheel. Prior to that vw steel rims had a very large almost 10 inch center hole, and a special adapter was needed to put those wheels on tire machines. Bugs I don't know as well. Early bugs had the same large hole wheel until they came out with a 4 lug, 'small center hole' wheel in ............I think 1968. The 68 Bug was a large departure from all the previous ones in many ways. If I was answering on a test, I'd say 68 Bug was the first year of that wheel type, that will take the semi-flat chrome hubcap. . I remember when the 68 Bug came out even, I was there and I thought the vent window latches, where you twist a knob, then hold it twisted while you flip the lever was 'too german' and dumb, but obviously it was an anti-break in feature, or at least I imagine that was the thinking.

And I just call them 'the chrome metal' hubcaps for Buses and early vanagons.

I'd trade 4 chrome metal ones for a very good set for a set of what I call the 'Silver Dome' plastic hubcap seen on many 84 and up gasoline vanagons. I don't think much of the 'phony wire wheel' plastic hubcaps that come on 82 diesel vanagons, and I imagine 82 DV's came both ways, a GL having the large plastic hubcaps I'd guess, and L models the chrome metal. But I'd probably trade 4 chrome metal vanagon hubcaps for 4 good silver dome ones. Finding a silver dome one that is really ok though is not always that easy. They are often either scratched up, or broken in a spot of two on the back side. I have about 9 of them that have something wrong with them, in one way or another. Where I am rusting of the metal hubcaps barely happens. Scott www.turbovans.com