Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:30:16 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mac

Huh? You can run ETKA and any other PC program on an Intel Mac with "Parallels" . It allows you to have both operating systems open and switch between the two. Its great. Stay away from Virtual PC for a non- Intel Mac. Its slow and problematic.

I've been using Macs in my graphic design business since 89. They have their issues but as the years go by, each generation seems to have fewer issues. The small amount of experience I have with PCs leaves me stumped that the rest of the world gets by using those things. Clunky, un-intuative, unstable--- are a few adjectives that come to mind, IMHO. Hoo.

You can find a nice, slightly used Intel MacBook Pro for about $1300 around here (Bay Area). Non-Intel PowerBooks are going cheap as chips these days if you don't need the Intel capabilities. Macs are not cheap but neither is a Syncro transmission.

Agree with Paul---known more than a few people who have crossed over to Macs---none that ever went back.

Jeff / San Anselmo

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:03:19 -0500 From: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> Subject: Re: NVC - MS vs Mac

Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> writes:

> I think John is right this could be huge. > > As for my limited opinion well - I have yet to use a MAC however > those whom I have encountered who do own them love them, swear by > them, and will never look to MS again. I've been told they are rock > solid. I've been tempted myself - my only concern has been > availablility of software and tools - however that concern could be > from the dark ages.

You can't run the ETKA or Bentley "eBahn" software on a Mac unless you dual boot windows or run a virtual PC Windows session.

You can get into Linux or PC-BSD or something like that for a lot less money if you're just sick of Windows. Or you can pick up a used Mac for little money, a G4 processor with enough RAM is still plenty usable and runs OSX just fine.

Allan -- 1991 Vanagon GL