Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:21:24 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bumper Painting Info/Pics! (who's bored on a Saturday? Me!)
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com>

Hi Roger.

Actually all they had at my FLAPS was yellow zinc chromate primer. Here they are almost done:

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/Bumper1.jpg/Bumper1-full;init:.jpg

I found too that the use of wood and "C" clamps worked well for the bigger bends and bumps. I didn't anneal them, so there was a little "bounce back". Regardless they're pretty straight.

Have to admit that it took a while to straighten, prep and paint them. (I painted the back too) I'm curious to see what they look like in daylight. If one can't see budgeting the hours to do it, they might be better off buying new/used.

Thanks for the heads up on the fasteners Roger.

Cheers,

Neil.

On Feb 6, 2008 10:13 AM, Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com> wrote: > WOW! That yellow bumper looks great! I straightened a couple of bent > bumpers once. Most chromed bumper Vanagons fall to bent bumper affliction at > sometime or other. I used 2X2 boards about 1 or 2 feet long. I placed one > above the other, over the bent section, and squeezed them together via > C-clamps. Heat from a torch greased the straightening. Helped quite a > bit.Scorched the boards, too. > > I now have an all stainless steel chrome bumper and end cap fastener set > for sale. $17.99. 32 pieces, with 4, M8 Carriage bolts ( w/ washers and > nylon insert lock nuts ) that fit the end caps. Heads painted POR15 black. > 4 long, self drilling METRIC ( 4.8 X 50mm) screws for the sides of the end > caps ( with washers ). 6, M8X30mm hex head bolts with washers for attaching > the bumpers to the vehicle. See it at my ebay store > http://stores.ebay.com/werksforwagens > > Self drilling screws allow for future removal of the screws, without > damaging the end cap, plugs. Not too many end cap hardware kits supply them, > let alone supply them in stainless steel. > > To remove the end cap plugs,(with pliers) grip the self drilling screw tip > where it extends through the sheet metal, in the wheel well. Unscrew it with > the plyers till the threads have cleared the body sheet metal. This is what > the self drilling tip is for. Push the screw inside the little hole and > into the end cap cavity. Then stick a coat hanger or drill bit into this > hole and push the end cap plug out , from the inside. Bumper painting > thread hijacked. :>) ( That yellow bumper really, really does look > nice!)Thanks, Neil. > > Roger >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

Engine swap beginings: http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/