Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:00:27 -0800
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stevens Creek Volkswagen in Santa Clara
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

There was a long story about it. When it started I had the check engine light went on then went off for a few months. I noticed that it would go off if I make a 200 mile trip. But it would come back on in a week or so.

One day I saw on the Discovery Channel that a university professor led some students to investigate some American cars that were found to have the Check Engine light on but still passing smog check regardless. Their conclusion of the investigation was the ECU was too agreesive in turning on the check engine light. Those cars all had the most recent 3-way catalyst emission system, which has two oxygen sensors one before and the other after the catalytic converter. These oxygen sensors will feed signals to the ECU to constantly enrich then lean the air/fuel mixture a number of rounds per minute something like that. My Passat has two such CAT (that's why $3000 bill to fix).

The Discovery Channel story triggered me to Google on the internet for hours. I discovered other Passat owners encountering the same problem I had. They reported $3000 bill too. Some were actually done but under the Federal mandated emission system warranty of 80,000 mile/8 year. I then took my Passat to the S Crook VW. I anticipated that my CATs be replaced under warranty. They initially did not mention at all the word warranty until I asked. Then they said there was a recall on the ECU. They told me if reprogramming of the ECU did not fix it then the CATs need to be replaced and the bill would be something like $3000. It turned out after reprogramming the ECU (or whatever they actually did) the light never came back on again and it passed a smog check recently.

Basically I agree that the crooked dealer did try to get money out of customers using every possible tactics. Yes, in California there is a tremendous doubt in people's mind about the honesty of dealers. At least I have developed a mindset to not trust those crooks. I do trust a small guy who runs a fairly large size garage alone in Santa Clara. I asked him to check my CV joints. He was reluctant to call my CV joints bad. He cited the reason of expensive parts. He tried to save money for me. I do believe many small shops build their business on solid reputation that takes that kind of heart to build it up. He checked my broken ball joint boots and determined that there was no wear yet. But I know they needs to be replaced sooner or later. Strange enough that I never saw a second mechanic in his shop yet I saw MBs, BMWs and of cours lots of Lexus, Toyotas and Hondas there. The name of the shop is Ocean Auto Repair with a solid customer base and runs the shop by one man.

Finding good mechanics in California is like shopping for a good used car. Theye are there but you have to be careful in looking.

David