Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:27:52 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: starters-used vs. cheap rebuilt vs. Bosch rebuilt

What is your time worth to you, and how many times do you want to replace your starter? If the answer is that your time is valuable and you want to do the job once, buy the Bosch and be happy that you made a good choice. Most generic aftermarket rebuilt(using the term loosely) starters, alternators, etc, are not worth bothering with. Their one marginally redeeming feature is the "Lifetime" warranty, without which they would never sell enough units to be profitable. What good is a Lifetime warranty to you if you have to replace your starter every few months(weeks, days). I know a local shop owner that installed a customer supplied aftermarket alternator on the customers Vanagon at their request. The shop owner warned the van owner that it was a bad idea and that they would be responsible for labor to replace the unit if it failed. NOt only was the first one found to be bad but it took seven more before the customer either gave up or got a good one.

Again, what is your time worth to you? You have other issues to deal with on your van, don't make it worse by putting a junk starter on it.

Mark in AK Assistant Parts Manager Continental Auto, LLC

----- Original Message ----- From: Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM> Date: Monday, February 11, 2008 9:51 am Subject: starters-used vs. cheap rebuilt vs. Bosch rebuilt To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM