Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:15:48 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: replacement  cv/axle assembly
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Go with the Lobro CV and new boots. Good German stuff. Dependable. Anything else is suspect. I like the very best on my van, and Lobros are what I have. BUT, I do appreciate budget constraints. Steer clear of re-built CV's. The holes and grooves are made larger to clean out wear, and bigger ball bearings are used. The drive train was engineered with diligence, and the drilling out and over sized balls changes the geometry and subsequent wear and tear.

Stick with Lobros. I think you will find you can come out cost wise about as well, and performance wise - well, the Lobros are hard to beat. With a proper pair of snap ring pliers the CV's are a snap to remove and re-install on the axle, so you don't gain much there by having someone else do it.

Good Luck,

John Rodgers Driver, 88 GL with Lobros

Scott Daniel - Shazam wrote: > I can not see how any 65 dollar rebuilt in the US by cheap labor with > probably Taiwan-sourced parts can be anywhere near as good and long lasting > as two new german Lobro CV joints fitted to the Vanagon axle shaft. > > The axle shaft itself does not wear at all. It's more work and more expense > to replace the CV's and boots if needed, but it has got to be better than a > new rebuilt 65 dollar axle assembly. > The place you are buying it from probably only paid 40 dollars for it. > At the price it would have to have CV joints made in Taiwan or even China. > But it is fast and cheap, that's for sure. > I'll take some nice german lobro's installed nicely with plenty enough of > the right grease in the boots any old time thank you. > I do fine with just replacing one CV that has finally gotten a little too > worn, then just lube the other one really well, and maybe move it from the > wheel end to the transmission end. > > I don't consider any vanagon 'ok' until I've pulled the axles, and added > grease to the CV's..........the grease almost seems to evaporate a > little...........and you can't leave them on there like > > Auto trans vanagons have a short axle on the left, and a long on the right I > believe. > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > pepperd > Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 12:40 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: replacement cv/axle assembly > > hey list > need to replace cv in rear of 84 MT 1.9 and i just plan on pulling the whole > axle assembly and popping in a new one. > > first question...on MT side is interchangeable, not specific as in AT > correct? > second... i have been to some flaps to find out what is available from them > in order to same on the shipping charges to me and fro with the core(if > rebuilt). anyone have anything good or bad to say about EMPI, AMT or > DURABUILT rebuilds? can get whole assembly of rebuilt for about 65 bucks > without any shipping. alternative is a list vendor, but then shipping to > and fro adds up fast... > > thanks > don p > carolina ri > 84 westy > > > --------------------------------- > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. > > >