Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:59:19 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: slack in e-brake cable?
Comments: To: Ryan Alfonso <vangina@GMAIL.COM>

Ryan, double check the assembly of your rear brake adjuster and springs. I have seen the rear brake adjuster be misinstalled so many times it is not funny. As you look at the rear part of the adjuster that pushes against the emergency brake lever it is split into two fingers. It looks like a boat paddle that is split in half with a slot in the middle. The large side of the paddle split is the part that goes behind the metal part of the brake shoe. If you put the small side of this behind the metal it won't push against the lever and the whole thing will not work properly. I have a write up on my website that I did on rear brakes on the Vanagon and even a picture of what it is supposed to look like (kinda fuzzy). You can check it out on my new newsletter page at: http://www.vanagain.com/newsletter.htm

Let me know if I can help your further.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Ryan Alfonso wrote: > Guys - > > Have you been under your van when the parking brake is "off". I'm wondering > if anyone else has observed "total slack" on the left/right cables, the > junction bracket, and the rod running to the ebrake handle. It just kinda > hangs there on my ride. Seems it shouldn't be so. There are springs inside > the drum that would seem to want to keep this slack under control, true? > Seriously, it's all loose and hanging there. Doesn't feel right. Any > ideas? This normal? > > -Ryan > >