Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:17:51 -0800
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sure Power 1315 question > monitoring battery

The state of charge of a battery can indeed be determined with a voltmeter, but the battery needs to be disconnected from any loads for an hour or so to allow the battery voltage to stabilize. If you read the voltage while it is powering something then the voltage reading will be dragged down by the load, and cannot be used to determine the battery's state of charge.

For a generic flooded-cell lead acid 12 volt battery, here's the relationship between no-load voltage and state of charge.

No-load Voltage Percent Charge >12.6 100% 12.45-12.6 75-100% 12.24-12.45 50-75% 12.06-12.24 25-50% 11.7-12.06 0-25% <11.7 0%

Measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte with a hydrometer is a more accurate method of determining state of charge. With totally sealed batteries this is not possible.

A chart illustrating specific gravity and no-load voltage vs charge is at

http://www.semarine.com/store/home.php?cat=86

More information about measuring methods is at

http://www.rpc.com.au/products/batteries/car-deepcycle/carfaq9.htm#charged

They list, in decreasing order of accuracy:

1. Measuring charging current under specific conditions, 2. Measuring with a hydrometer after the battery has stabilized, then "temperature compensate, and compare the average of the readings with the battery's manufacturer's Specific Gravity definition of a cell in a fully charged battery," and 3. Measuring with an "accurate (.5% or better) digital voltmeter" after the battery has stabilized, then "temperature compensate, and compare the reading with the battery's manufacturer's [no-load] definition of a fully charged battery."

When we camp the battery is either being charged (by solar) or running something so the battery voltage or specific gravity are both pretty useless for determining charge.

So given all that, we use a battery monitor which seems to give me reliable readings. It monitors energy going in and coming out of the battery and displays how much capacity is available, like a fuel gauge. Here's the one we use -- http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/96/p/1/pt/7/product.asp -- there may be others. Not inexpensive, and a bit of wiring is needed but works for me.

Battery monitors (AKA "coulomb counters") are not perfect because modeling the complex electro-chemical characteristics of a lead acid battery is not trivial, but with appropriate programming (they are programmable) they are darn accurate,* much more accurate than using a voltmeter, and miles more practical than probing around in a sulfuric acid-filled battery with a hydrometer in one hand and a flashlight in the other: the electrolyte in question is also called "battery acid" -- I'm know I'm too spastic to be trusted around that stuff.

============ * I've programmed mine to know that the battery is a 130Ah one, and that it is fully-charged when the charge voltage is 14.4 volts or more and the charger (solar or tender or engine) is able to hold that voltage with less than 200mA of current for more than 1 minute. Once those conditions have been met, the monitor resets itself to display 100% charge. Before it resets itself it's only off 100% by a percentage or so, so the modeling seems to be close enough. When the battery is powering stuff, the monitor measures discharge amps and time, curves the results and calculates amp-hours remaining.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR