Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:48:53 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Buying vanagons as parts donors
Comments: To: "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Volks,

The cost of scrap metal has risen, but so has the cost of transportation. If you live in a port city, the scrapyards nearest the docks will pay the best $$ for scrap vehicles. The further you are from the port, the lower the value of the scrap metal.

I scrapped out an aircooled engine this summer after putting a rod through the top of the case and was able to get $40 for the aluminum in the engine once I removed the crank, cylinders, studs and other ferrous parts. The same yard pays $120/ton $CDN for scrap iron. I have also heard that some people have scrapped out perfectly good aluminum fishing boats because they are worth more as scrap than for resale as a pleasure craft.

A few years ago I bought a $600 1988 vanagon and harvested about $1000 in parts sales, but it cost me about 25 hours of labour and I paid over $150 in towing fees to have it brought home and towed away afterwards. The bulk of the profit on that one was a pair of captains chairs and a set of almost new Michelin Agilis tires already mounted and balanced, which were not counted in the $1000 income mentioned above. So I guess I did all right. I considered saving the beast, but it would have cost thousands to do so and every time I turned a screw or bolt it sheared off due to rust. So it died that others might live. That's just the way it goes with older vehicles.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato www.pottsfamily.ca www.busesofthecorn.com