Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Feb 2008 12:07:39 -0800
From:         John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU>
Subject:      SMOG TEST failure

Thanks to all who provided suggestions on how to pass the "Dreaded California Emissions Test" I was puzzled at how my HC values could be so high at idle, and pass at 2500 rpm, and that the Cat could still be the problem.

I dredged up my values from 2 yrs ago, when I also failed on the first attempt, and passed after putting a new cat on, and I can see that the numbers reveal that I was basically in the same situation back then, and that replacing the cat resolved the problem. At least I have a good idea on how to pass this time around now.

I guess one question is: "why did the NEW cat fail after 2 yrs" or did I "kill it" with a poorly tuned engine? (note i replaced the O2 sensor several months later)

Has anyone else had bad results with the Emico converters?

Does the warranty on these cover failure after 2 yrs? (i guess i should read the fine print)

Below are the 3 sets of emission values.

I hope this info, and discussion, might help other Californians, and those from other strict emission states keep their vanagons on the road!

Values from 2 yrs ago (first attempt failed) ********************************************

rpm %CO2 %O2 HC(ppm) CO % RESULTS ____________________________________________

871 8.4 8.5 637 .93 GROSS POLLUTER

2577 13.0 2.3 70 0.76 PASS

**Replaced Catalytic Converter with EMICO Model

Values from 2 yrs ago w/ New CAT (second attempt PASSED) ****************************************************

861 14.9 .2 63 .01 PASS

2640 14.7 .4 37 .12 PASS

915 11.9 3.2 424 0.55 GROSS POLLUTER