Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:31:12 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tiico TD
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

You're talking about a stock waterboxer 4 speed ? If that's the case it'll work fine. Both a waterboxer and a 1.9TD AAZ are 5,000 rpm engines, more torque sooner in the TD engine, but very similar rpm range. Given what you'll be spending anyway, you don't need another new expense just yet. And I would always say do any engine conversion, drive it for a few months at least in all conditions, then consider if you need slightly different gearing.

If you have a stock 4 speed 82 diesel vanagon trans, yes, you need a better trans than that ! But the 5 speed 83 diesel transmission is fine, 4 speed water boxers would be fine, syncro gearing would be fine, and so would a DK 4 speed from an 80 to 82 air cooled vanagon.

AAZ 1.9TD's have been around in the vanagon world since about ..........late 90's, 95 at the earliest. Many many of them have been done. Nothing new or unusual about an AAZ at all. I notice the flyer says 'rebuilt' 1.9 TD AAZ's Also, that mileage .........28 to 30 I think they say........it's capable of that for sure, but that won't be the overall par fuel mileage. 27ish is, with 25.5 being the lower end of the scale for 'normal good fuel mileage' with one of those. They'll touch 30 to 31ish in optimal conditions and driving. I don't get the one engine picture that shows silver header pipes, with a two into one collector. Doesn't look like there's a turbo on the engine, and the exhaust pipe would come out of the turbo of course, and not two pipes, but one. Those are possibly non-turbo gas pipes set under the engine for the shot perhaps.