Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:03:55 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: slack in e-brake cable?
Comments: To: Ryan Alfonso <vangina@GMAIL.COM>

Ok........... Did you notice the adjuster nut , 10 mm hex, on the rod just a few inches forward of where the cables come together sort of ? That might have something to do with adjustment of the cable slack eh ?

But first you need to make sure the are sliding and returning nicely. ( the rear brake mechanism returns the cables some. ) Grab the cables and pull them forward and sideways............ They should slide out of the outer cables about 3/8 an inch, And slide back in easily. You often here the rear brake shoes squeak on the backing plates when you do that. If the cables don't slide out some easily and return, they are stuck/rusted/jammed/worn.

To do it right you really need to start in the rear drums. If that's all shot and worn out in there and you tighten up the parking brake cable, there will be less slack and all that, but you might also just be making up for something that is really actually more worn n the rear drum brakes. So remove the rear drums inspect the rear brakes...........for worn shoes, and for leaky wheel cylinder primarily, or things out of place or broken/missing/riding loose in the bottom of the drum area. ( yep, seen that a time or two ) . It's normal for one shoe to be more worn than the other. Usually at the minimum, if shoes and cylinder are ok, I empty out the brake dust, tweak up the self-adjuster a little, and change brake fluid to that wheel, or both rears.

When all is ok or at least pretty right in the rear brakes, then you adjust the parking brake cable by the 10mm hex hut until it's right. lube everything that moves with an appropriate product. Hope this helps you some. Scott www.turbovans.com