Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:20:38 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 Vanagon, new to me, the story so far (long)
Comments: To: gfs@SCATTERCREEK.COM

Good story there Gregory. I SO agree with you that some people should not be allowed to do any electrical work. Your experience with this 88 parallels my experience with buying many vanagons. Often I am the first person ever to clean them out really, Or lube about 400 little spots, And stereo installations...........I've seen them with wires wrapped in circles around components under the dash........the most abominable stuff you could imagine.........and worse than you could imagine even ! But I'm sure you got a good deal, and now you've moved up to an 88 - hot dog ! I notice the weight difference if they have PS and AC compared to the earlier 84's and before............those seem more 'pure' to me in their handling, and just feel lighter and more responsive, and more feedback in the steering too. The 86's at later, while much quieter and solid feeling, also feel a tiny bit numb in a way compared to the earlier ones. But they're both wonderful 'sport-almost-trucks' ..........just love 'em ! Scott

Hey all,

A couple of months ago I finally committed to buying an '88 that an acquaintance offered me for a very good price. I was the proud owner of an '84, which I loved to death and upgraded in various ways including adding the complete A/C from an auto recycler.

When I checked out the '88, it had a run down battery, as it had been sitting for some time. I placed a charger on it and got it to crank, but had trouble starting it. It had a couple of bad wires at the coil, and after fixing those it started fine, though the starter sounded tired. After getting it running I made the decision to buy, and would return later.

I returned a couple of days later and ran into the previous owner's mechanic friend leaving the p.o.'s house, and chatted with him a little, he made a hasty exit. Then for some reason I couldn't start the van! I tried everything, checked most of the systems but left scratching my head. I returned the next day to drag it home with my '84. I discovered the next day the computer had been unplugged. Naturally I suspect he p.o.'s mechanic, who apparently wanted the van for himself. He has a bit of a side business selling vehicles after "fixing" them.

Over the next few days I discovered most of the "cracked head" mentioned by the p.o.'s "mechanic". One was the rear heater core bleeder, fell off in my hand. The core leaked as well so I fabbed up a copper bypass pipe and deleted the whole thing, leaving the plastic cover in place, I'm not sure why, I kinda like the box. Another bad leak was the coolant level sensor, the threads of which had broken off in the tank and the top had been siliconed back on. I swapped in a spare and saw the o-ring difference noted by many.

I cleaned out the interior (a day in and of itself) and sewed up some blown seams on the freshly laundered rear cushion cover, installed some Lowe's carpet in the middle area. Reinstalled the center seats. Installed the nice Radio Shack CD/weatherband/aux deck from my other van, and found the speakers in good condition. While in there reconnected some wires and now have more dash lights and a working cigarette lighter (power plug to me). A ton of bad wires and bad wire splices. Some folks should not be allowed near anything electrical, even some dual filament bulbs crammed into the taillights.

Replaced a bad hatch strut, tune up, oil change, new proper battery (how come people put it the wrong size?) headlight clean (in and out), new 205 m/s tires, removed the roof racks and trailer hitch for later use. Installed big Hella foglights on a relay. All new (and proper size) fuses.

Still to do; rear fiberglass bumper repair, headlight upgrade. Overall it's come along nicely, and even with a hose splitting the other day and some remaining electrical issues (oil light circuits) I love the newer van. While fixing the hose, I discovered a fuel leak at the plastic junction so many have malaigned, but my leak was at one of the hoses. Deleted the entire mess and installed new hose to the regulator. The 2.1 liter engine, P/S, cruise, A/C, Z-bed, padded and cloth interior all conspiring to make me reevaluate these van things, they can be pretty nice. Add to that I sold my beloved '84 for a good price to a good home via Craigslist.

Thanks to everyone who answers my questions and thanks for reading. :)

Gregory Smith Olympia, WA USA '88 Vanagon 7P '87 Bertone X1/9