Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:54:09 +0000
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Electric Vanagon?
Comments: To: Ken Lewis <kdlewis@NORTHSTATE.NET>

I agree. I think it is ironic that this lady complains about the big "conspiracy" to kill the electric car only to show us the real reason why the electric car doesn't work (high cost, super heavy, no range and lead acid batteries stink!). If you read the whole thing carefully you will find that with a ton of donated parts and help they still spent over $10,000 to get a Vanagon that will drive maybe 25 miles each way (if it doesn't break down). They added over 1500 lbs of weight to the unladen van in batteries! Of course before that they had an "expensive" and "unreliable" water boxer powerplant in there:-) Just to compare they could have had a rebuilt water boxer with all new exhaust system, coolant system, rebuilt transmission, and more for less than $10k including the labor!

I give them credit for trying to live their dream. It is just a shame that reality hasn't caught up to the dream of the electric car. Again I find it ironic that almost exactly 100 years after the origins of the car all of the different ideas that were originally tried are being tried again. Electric cars were some of the first ever made. Diesel, hybrids, etc were all rolled out as production cars in those early years. The only newer idea I can see would be the hydrogen powered cars.

Please, I beg someone, make a super high capacity battery/capacitor that is light weight. Yes that would kill the ICE engine. We've only been waiting for it for the past hundred years though.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Ken Lewis <kdlewis@NORTHSTATE.NET>