Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:48:26 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Failed emissions (DEQ)
Comments: To: Chad Lyles <chad.lyles@GMAIL.COM>

The CO is high. There's a CO adjustment on the air flow meter. If I was working on it I would expect that between timing, CO adjustment, throttle switch adjustment, and 'air idle' speed adjustment on the throttle body I could get it all within spec. Really bugs the hell out of me that people think putting in new 'tune up' parts is actually a tune up. It IS NOT ! 'tune up' means replacing the parts that are too worn, and then bringing all THE ADJUSTABLE things to spec !! There are 4 adjustments that all need to be in concert.

how's the oxygen sensor ? when was the throttle switch adjustment last checked ? can't tell you how many times I've seen cheap new plugs slapped in, along with a cheap new non-german distributor cap and rotor, and an air filter...........and that's a 250 dollar 'tune up'. I promise you, I could produce a better result with used German bosch parts and some sandpaper and wd-40, than the many times I've seen el cheaopo 'melican parts just slapped in etc. 'tune up' is not even a viable term for engines that have electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition. I work on vanagons and subaruvanagons and other things full time, like I'm working on 10 projects simultaneously right now..........and fix everything from one end to the other........heck, I'm restoring rust spots 'above' the gas tank in a really nice 83 westy I'll have for sale one of these days........point is, like I 'do everything' almost........and I have not 'tuned up' any car in decades. I do replace worn spark plugs, or distributor parts, or plug wires etc...........I replace or fix what needs to be done yes, but the whole concept of 'tune up' is from the 50's or 60's and really doesn't apply anymore. It's from when cars had points and carbs and things easily got out of whack. Electronic systems don't suffer from that much at all. And there are 4 adjustments that need to be checked on a 1.9 wbxr. And the common shop's idea of slapping in a bunch of new ignition parts and an air filter as a 'tune up' is a disservice really. Scott www.turbovans.com

"People think it's about new parts. It's NOT about new parts, it's about Perfect Workmanship and near fanatical Attention to Details." SDF