Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Feb 2008 19:29:06 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Head replacement... sooo much easier the second time

The first time I took the heads off my 90 was about 3 years ago when the rubber gaskets started leaking. I fought the rotten exhaust hardware for days! This time, it's a more serious problem of engine compression getting into the cooling system. But let me tell you, this is going to be more of a 16 hour job than a 40 hour one like last time.

One reason is that I replaced all the rusted and rounded iron exhaust hardware with stainless steel bolts... no studs. The pipes just slip on and off. Fifteen minutes or less with an air wrench and open end wrench and those pipes were off those heads.

Another reason is that I knew this time what didn't have to be removed to get the heads off.

Another VERY important reason is that I figured out what order to do things in. First, don't jack up the car to work on the topside (it wore me out bending over the car on jackstands). Pull the intake manifold/plenum/injector assembly first. Be sure to have a 14mm flexible socket on hand to get the big nut off the front of the flange where is is fastened in a tight spot by one of the block bolts. If you don't have a wobbly socket, you'll be at this one a while.

You'll be amazed at how fast the AC, alternator and PS pump can be removed with the intake stuff already removed. Don't touch the hoses yet, though, until the coolant is drained.

Drain the oil if you haven't. Remove the underside tin (on the sides and over the pushrod tubes). Drop the exhaust after separating the pipes from the heads front and back and at the main joint with three bolts. Though it looks like you must remove fasteners at the rear near the muffler, you don't. Remove the drain plugs from the underside of the heads. While the block is draining, go up top and remove the two bolts holding the long black pipe than runs past the left valve cover so you will be able to get the head off the studs.

Go below when the draining is finished (it is ever?) and plug the drain in the left head so you can get a hex socket into the thermostat housing screws and remove it.

Pry off the valve cover bails and pop the cover off. Remove the rockers and pull out the pushrods, keeping them in order (even though I'm replacing the lifters, they will mate to their same respective rockers).

Five hours! Three yesterday, two today.

Jim