Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:58:35 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV joints
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I see. Very good. I'll look for that Mobil 1 synthetic grease. I do have to say that anything I have ever put moly grease on........... I have never had a problem with that stuff. I use it to lube where the throw out bearing slides on the guide tube, or example........and so forth. Nothin' but perfect luck with that grease.

Front out CV's on any vehicle with drive to the front end ........they get more work and wear, much more than a front inner or any of the rear cv's, I think.

It's not that the cv joint screws aren't strong enough for the job. It's that the 6 mm allen ones strip out too easily. The later 12 point ones are harder material and I've only ever had to dig one of those out, all the other 200 of them came out just fine.

If there is a link to those McMaster bolts I'd love to see it. Scott

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com] Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 6:06 PM To: 'Scott Daniel - Shazam'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: CV joints

FUN BUS has over 254 k on it and the CV's are all original. Boot kits done as needed. I do not use the grease that comes in the boot kits. It tends to dry up and turn to tar. When I did the boots at ~132k I used the Mobil 1 synthetic grease-no moly. One of the fronts is now starting clunk during tight turns. I also use grade 12.9 bolts that I get from McMaster-Carr.

Dennis

All right, then you better get 250,000 miles out of your CV joints.

How do you keep the balls straight ? like know which groove a ball came from. They're not marked or color coded or anything.

Have you measured any of the balls with a micrometer to try to find any measurable difference. I would think you'd be very, very into 'rotating' your CV's, that is install them so they drive the other way. You'll notice in the groove they get more worn in one area from always pushing on that one spot. They can be fitted to the 'push' or drive the other way, to spread out the wear more evenly over many miles, the same as tire rotation does.

Surely you are also into this nuance of long CV joint life., mmm ? Scott