Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:35:27 -0500
From:         John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: reseal headlight?
Comments: To: Jeffrey Lubin <visionwizard@verizon.net>

On Feb 20, 2008 12:57 PM, Jeffrey Lubin <visionwizard@verizon.net> wrote: > In preparing to install my new GE Nighthawk bulbs, I tried to clean the > low-beam lamp housings with 90% alcohol. The left housing now looks > nice, but the right one still has considerable fogging on the reflector > surface. I made a casual attempt, on areas I could easily reach, to > clean this with alcohol on a Q-tip, and found that it helped. > Perhaps not uncoincidentally, this same lamp housing looks like a > previous owner had split it (glass from reflector) and then reassembled > it using silicon sealant. > So, I'm tempted to break it apart again, clean the full reflector > surface with (gentle) direct contact, and then reseal it. > Someone please talk me out of this! >

The stock lamps are assembled like that. Whatever they used as the sealant, it's really tough to break that seal. If you're wrong about the PO's shenanigans you may end up with a broken lamp if you try to split it.

That's my best shot at talking you out of it. Why not try making a bigger q-tip? -- John Meeks '91 Multivan, '85 GL bits Northern Michigan KC8ZFN Vanagon Rescue Squad http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon_Rescue_Squad74.htm