Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:30:40 -0800
From:         Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bluetec diesel

I've owned something like 15 VW/Mercedes/Cummins diesels. Early VW diesels had all sorts of issues, though I did manage to coax 275k out of an '80 Rabbit. The Bosch VE pumps are prone to problems, 'cause they're entirely lubricated by fuel, which is left to the vagaries of maintenance and fuel quality. Timing belts are just plain a stupid idea for interference engines, but that's not a diesel-specific problem.

Mercedes diesels can typically run for the life of the engine with the original injection pump, 'cause they're lubricated by engine oil.

I owned a '96 Passat tdi that went 105k during my ownership without any diesel-specific problems--oh, and it got 40mpg while doing that. I'd say that's way way cheaper to own than *any* other comparable gashuffing midsize vehicle from that era.

I've had great luck with them and will continue to run diesel in the future 'cause they make so much more sense than gashuffing wheeze-boxes.