Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:36:56 -0800
From:         Chad Lyles <chad.lyles@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WHAT JUST HAPPENED???
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

well i dont know what brand of plugs are in now ... but they were replaced about 2 days ago... along with the cables cap and rotor ... i had a FULL tune up yesterday...and i had over a half a tank of fuel. ...its starting fine now... it was just puzzling and disconcerting. should i be worried about this at all? will my car blow up and die... will the wheels fall off on the high way ? haha just need to know if this is something i need to be super worried about. C~

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Scott Daniel - Shazam < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> Dennis, > Where are you getting that if the ecu sees an open Temp II sensor it > provides lots of extra fuel ??????? > Are you just assuming that ? > It's well known and observed that if the ECU does not see the Temp II > sensor > the engine will not and can not start. > > Yes, a cold temp reading from the temp II sensor makes the ecu put in more > fuel. > But 'no contact' from it means 'no fuel' I believe. > > Your last two sentences : > This is needed when the fuel does not vaporize. On a warm engine > the fuel vaporizes quickly and the lack of oxygen prevents combustion so > you get the no start. > > Doesn't really make sense. > Especially that last sentence, that REALLY doesn't make sense. > Perhaps what you are trying to say makes technical sense, but this last > sentence sure doesn't. > 'warm engine, fuel vaporizes quickly' .........that part is > ok...........but > 'lack of oxygen' ........what lack of oxygen ? > > it was mostly likely simply flooded from the spark plugs not igniting the > fuel air mixture that was present. Perhaps the plug wires are 10 years > old. > Also..........bearing in mind about 'unflooding' an engine with an air > flow > meter.......... > While you might be holding the throttle wide open to get air going through > it, the flapper in the air flow meter is still mostly closed , or at idle > position. > And it could be a bad connection to the temp II sensor too. > If it doesn't see that, it won't start., > But I suspect ordinary 'the plugs didn't fire the mixture there, and got > temporarily wet fouled." > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Dennis Haynes > Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 2:31 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: WHAT JUST HAPPENED??? > > The huge puff of smoke is an indication that the engine was flooded. > Flooding on a warm or hot restart is usually a sign of a bad connection to > or a defective temp 2 sensor. When the ECU sees the sensor open or a high > resistance it says bring on the fuel for a cold start in really cold > weather. This is needed when the fuel does not vaporize. On a warm engine > the fuel vaporizes quickly and the lack of oxygen prevents combustion so > you get the no start. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Chad Lyles > Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:19 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: WHAT JUST HAPPENED??? > > Hello, > well as i announced this morning ...i passed DEQ and Hoppy is running > GREAT... i went and got my new tags at DMV and then went to the > bank...(all > in hoppy) i was in the bank for 10 minutes came out and hoppy wouldnt > start... it would turn but not kick... checked the coil to see if i was > getting a fire...i was getting consistant fire. checked the fuel pump to > see > if it was humming it was humming. every thing was as it should be... i > could > smell gas so gas was moving and had just filled up this morning ...but no > VROOM... > i called the mechanic he was puzzled and said "just get it towed" (which i > was like, "yeah i am 30 miles from you and i cant pay load up and 3 bucks > a > mile on that!") so i called the tow truck and i was packing my stuff up > and > i thought hmm... i will try one more time... i put the pedal to the floor > and cranked up... huge puff of smoke and strong smell of gas then > VROOOOM!!! > > so back to my question: WHAT JUST HAPPENED???? > would the fact that i was parked on a incline maybe have been the start of > this non starting? its never done that before... i am just frustrated to > the > max right now. i cant afford to keep putting her in the shop every 2 > days...is this some thing i should worry about or chalk it up to a fluke? > > -- > Chad~ > 84gl "Hop-a-long" >

-- Chad~ 84gl "Hop-a-long"